“When and how do you realize you’re good at singing? How many often happens to you that others ask you, “Andrea Bocelli
Knowing how to sing, even being good at singing is not for everyone. Therefore, finding the right person, the one who will give you the La to sing well and bring out your potential, is not easy at all.
Finding individual courses or singing group courses is sometimes a real challenge: you need to know where to look, how to look, and how to convince a teacher to work on your musical project.
We collect this challenge and explain why and how to find the ideal singing teacher!
Where to find a singing teacher?
Finding a singing teacher is sometimes like looking for a needle in a haystack, especially if you need specific accompaniment:
- jazz singing
- lyric song
- choral singing
- diction and singing courses
- improvisation and singing courses
Often the first criterion that is considered is the geographical one, appealing to teachers in your area.
This is why it is easier to find teachers in the capitals than in the provinces. In Rome and Milan, the offer is higher thanks to the many schools and musical institutions, cultural associations or events related to music and the many private teachers ready to guide you.
To find a singing teacher, you must first choose the city:
- Rome, the capital, a pulsating artistic heart also in the field of music.
- Milan, Naples, Turin, Bologna, Florence, Palermo, important cities where singing accompanies the many cultural events.
After the city, you need to find the right address. Singing teachers do not wait aside for the students to go and call them. They are full-time professionals working as employees or working independently. In both cases, it is always better to take a look at some structures:
- The music and singing schools of your city
- The local conservatory
- The associations in your neighborhood
- Local choirs and orchestras
- The private ads you find online
Regardless of where you live, whether in a large or a small town, you must be able to find a singer worthy of the name! By the way, how do you become a singing teacher?
How do you become a singing teacher?
The singing teacher followed a certain professional and educational path in order to do this work. Many years of study, work, competition and competition have led him to embrace this profession. There are different ways to become singing teachers depending on where you want to practice:
- Through a public competition and a period of initial training and apprenticeship, Fit, after taking a degree to teach music in middle and high schools;
- Thanks to a training course at the conservatory and after having achieved important artistic merits, one can teach one of the institutes of High artistic and musical education, Afam ;
- Doing training courses for singing teachers organized by music schools that adopt a certain methodology or by taking one of the Trinity College certifications on music teaching.
- Simply, with passion.
It all depends on the ambitions of the teacher.
If you have clear ideas, you can start studying singing from high school choosing to attend high school music.
If the aspiring teacher wants to become part of the teaching staff of a renowned conservatory or singing school, passion and skill will not be enough. He will have to do years of study and reach high levels as an opera singer, for example, pass a possible competition for a fixed-term job.
As an alternative to the conservatory, you can study music at the university and decide to work with children and teenagers from public schools. Also in this case, there is a public competition to pass and, from 2019, it is necessary to study and work simultaneously for 3 years. At the end of the Fit course, and only if the assessment of your performance is positive, you have access to the tenured chair.
At any time, with or without a university degree, you can attend professional training courses for singing teachers and increase your knowledge, specialize in a given method and have the opportunity to find more clients.
The educational qualifications and certifications required can change based on the way in which you want to teach singing:
- as an employee, at schools and music institutes
- as autonomous, teaching everywhere even at home
- as a volunteer at a voluntary association
In short, becoming a singing teacher is a long, varied and personal journey. In the end, a teacher’s compensation depends on his contractual status and the area in which he works.
What is the rate of a singing course?
The singing teachers have a lot to do with their students: work on vocal warming, on the voice, encourage them in their project.
The price of a singing course is determined by several factors:
- The type of course: collective, individual, preparatory courses. ..
- The city: a singing teacher from the North or from larger cities has a higher rate;
- Teacher classification: an independent teacher sets his own hourly rate, while an employee has a contract with a company;
- The place where you teach: a singing school will have higher rates than those applied by a private teacher.
In general, a singing course has an hourly price of 20-40 euros, on average. Much depends on the project you want to accomplish:
- basic singing course or advanced course?
- technique, interpretation or both?
- one-week attendance or intensive course?
You should also know that at schools and associations the rates are not negotiable, while with a private singing teacher you can discuss the duration and objectives of the course.
What is the identikit of a singing teacher?
Always choose a singing teacher based on your profile !
In fact, a singing teacher is one of a kind: he can be a pianist, a composer, an opera singer etc. Each has a different path, and the objectives to be achieved also change according to the students:
- Find the item
- Working on intonation
- Improve the use of voice and diction
Each teacher teaches you the techniques of singing with vocalizations, scales, solfeggio. A singing lesson generally involves:
- Vocal heating and resonance
- Execution of the stairs and solfeggio
- Voice training
- Singing with or without musical accompaniment
It is true that these phases are followed by every singing teacher, but the choice of the teacher depends on your musical tastes and your goals.
With equal merit, there are teachers who have a profile that best suits your needs: a vocal weaving card, an experience with a choir or soloist, an accompanying musical instrument. .. We can then identify two types of profiles:
- Teachers with a technical profile: they emphasize the technique and mastery of the voice;
- Teachers with a creative profile: they work more on becoming aware of themselves and their voices, on stage presence or on improvisation.
It’s up to you to choose the right teacher based on your goals! Many of the Superprof teachers combine the technical aspect with creativity!
The essential material for a singing lesson
Finally, no singing teacher can present himself in class with empty hands. The accessories for vocal coaching are numerous and varied, but don’t even think that all singing teachers have a recording room!
Of course, the basic tool is the voice, the rest of the material varies depending on the nature of the course:
- Vocal technique course: generally it works on the timbres of the voice, passing from the harmonic song, to the lyric song to the rhythmic song;
- Classical singing course: it passes through an important stage that is to identify the dominant voice (baritone, tenor, soprano. ..)
- Intensive vocal coaching course: held at a recording studio with all the necessary material for a professional singer.
In the end, the essential material is made by:
- A microphone, a modern singer’s best friend;
- A microphone stand, to keep your hands free during the performance;
- A voice recorder, to listen to the student’s intonation;
- A metronome, to keep time;
- A mirror that will allow the student to correct the posture;
- Headphones, to listen to the student’s voice without interference.
Let’s say that a technical teacher will tend to use only the voice, the metronome or an accompanying instrument, in addition to the musical scores.
The creative teacher will have more freedom in bringing instruments that he plays, and in getting help with apps and sounds assisted by a computer.
In any case, you’ll have an all-round musical training!
Did you feel like singing? Don’t wait any longer, immediately look for your ideal teacher to guide you in search of the perfect note!